Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Why I won't finish off Super Meat Boy

I stopped playing Super Meat Boy (no it's not what you think Chrystal) because, after a while, it evolved into being the same experience over and over again. And it's too long (no Chrystal). But it's not really too hard (Chrystal).

It just gets too samey over time. I don't care that it has an original story (it has squirrel genocide); I don't care how good the music and artwork are; I don't even care that the gameplay is super tight.

Actually, one of the problems is its celebrated gameplay! Which has one, big, throbbing inadequacy: Succeeding in Super Meat Boy means, to a large extent, memorizing the various positions you must get your avatar to, and at what exact moments. You have to memorize and precisely, PERFECTLY jerk your controller's buttons to get Super Meat Boy from one position to another, until you cross the map; and you will do this a billion times, going back and forth, back and forth -- restarting and doing it again! This is the case on most maps. And the game is entirely composed of maps. And I think there are 300 of them.

Although my desire to suck this hard game down prematurely came to an end -- Those of you who have an XBOX 360 controller, I recommend that you buy Super Meat Boy, and beat him! Because, as gratuitously hard and long as it can be, Super Meat Boy has a lot of love to give you, and for a low price (15 bucks, and sometimes less!).

No comments: