Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Gamer Poetry

Last year I wrote poems that focused on playing computer games. 

The best one is a sonnet. I didn't base this one directly off a video game experience, but I think you will see its connection to gaming.

"Play"

I brought my water gun outside to play
In Thailand's ninety-degree humid heat
No other kids were in the field today
No fun from victory, none to defeat.
Some chickens crossed the road, play things for me
They clucked their way near me and reached the creek
Unsmiling, I pumped the gun. Wanting glee
I aimed; I fired; I struck and soaked the weak-
Est yellow chick who hit the ground all wet
It crushed its eyelids; it could not make sound
It shuddered, freezing in the heat; it let
The air out of its chest, froze on a mound
Of dirt now wet, it slept, alone. And I
Stood by, now silent, asking why, oh why...

I submitted this to UCSD's Mania Magazine, and it's in the Fall 2008 issue. I recommend picking up a Mania Mag! They are good. 

No comments: