Saturday, October 16, 2010

I Don't to Write a StarCraft II Review

Paul's Review of StarCraft II:

It's pretty good. Except the writing.

No seriously I'm vacillating right now. Should I write a StarCraft II review? Have I played enough of it?

So far all I've done are: played more than a billion multiplayer matches, played some of the custom maps, played the campaign on hard difficulty, 'played' all the training stuff for noobs. Yes. Not enough.

But yes. You, my dear existing reader — my real problem with writing a StarCraft II review is: I just don't want to play it anymore (i.e. finish the campaign on brutal and do the missions I missed). I mean, I might play StarCraft II with my friends. Or, if I abandon my dreams, then I may wander into StarCraft II after a few too many. But yeah, basically I don't want to play it anymore because of its story telling.

I just can't get over how boring and uninteresting almost all of the writing is.

You can tell what's really going on as it's imposed on you. Only the few good and bad lines are memorable. The cliché characters are okay (except the stereotype nerd guy; I hope he dies.) The moral choices are, fortunately, evocative (unlike the ones of the Mass Effects, which basically say: this choice is good, this choice is bad); any you choice you make creates good Karma. The cinematics are good, not because of their writing but because of their mise en scène. All the sentences are concise, yet many sentences should not exist. The story features ninjas, (Star Wars Episodes 1-3) Yoda, pirates, zombies, bar fighting, cowboys, Native Americans, the old south, genocide, Giant Mech Suits, Sexy Women with guns and tentacles, etc.

StarCraft II (Wings of Liberty)'s story, you realize, was written to allow 29 missions as the Terran faction, and to appeal to more of the masses.

That is why I don't want to finish it. I'm too much of a snob for it. I'm not sure if I want the expansions anymore. The game is, at this point, merely great.

Nothing in StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty is written as well as, for example, this speech from StarCraft:


The only bad thing about the writing in that speech was the cliché at the end.

No comments: