Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Problem with PC Gaming

In comparison to Console gaming, I usually say PC gaming kicks console ass. Because it does. But! there is one area where it doesn't kick console gaming ass. (Or two areas if you count the Rock Band factor)

I'm talking about the way PC gaming makes you sit. Yes. Many PC gamers consider the way PC gamers sit one of the master race-making qualities of PC gaming (this I learned from Computer Gaming World, a defunct magazine). But let's be real, bitches. Most of us sit like PC gamers too much in other activities! For example, work stuff. Or me typing this (actually I'm in bed sitting on my heels). Driving. Getting your social security number stolen so that once you get back from volunteering in Costa Rica for one year, you realize that you have to spend like three months freeing yourself from fraud. Etc.

Console gaming doesn't have this problem. The stereotype image of the person lying down on the couch, all comfortable, is not necessarily the most beautiful image, but it's healthier than hours of back pain-creating sitting, each day, followed by X more hours of back pain-creating sitting.

In short, the problem with PC gaming is that: Back pain can be painful. For your back.

(But some games are better on PC)

1 comment:

Xander said...

I once read a fan-made strategy guide for Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri that insisted one should not play in a comfortable chair, as it will apparently impact your skill.

I should mention that Alpha Centauri is a turn-based, single-player game.