Tuesday, January 31, 2012

BASTION

BASTION IS GREAT!

After I finished Bastion I actually didn't want to replay it, not even with all the new weapons and the added difficulty things I had accumulated (yes, you accumulate difficulty-making things, which you can turn on and off). But I don't care! I'm happy! BASTION! FUN AND DONE!

AND BY THE WAY: It's SOOOOOO much better than Red Dead Redemption (a "game"). And not just in GAAAMEPLAAAAY, but also in storytelling! I think the cowboy game's plot and characters may be better, but the way it storytells? No. Bastion is better. The indie game eschews the high-budget cinematic for a not-quite-Tom-Waits voice that narrates what you do. AND the game actually gives you a big narrative choice! AN ACTUAL NARRATIVE CHOICE!! THAT'S CRAZY IN 2011!! Not to say that all or most future games should give you a massive plot-choosey choice -- But in Bastion, choice feels so fresh, and it feels like that probably because nearly every other game this year doesn't offer any of it.

Plus Bastion's is such a tough choice. A moral choice. And not one of those silly, obviously good, obviously bad ones. Seeing what happened as a result of my choice teared me up (with TEARS!).

But enough bashing of Red Dead Redemption (for now); Skyrim is boring.

I can't recommend Bastion enough. GET IT! What a wonderful world we live in where we get great games like it, for a low price!

I should probably say something more concrete. What's it about or something -- or what the gameplay's like.

I will discuss the gameplay. It looks like a hack-n-slash; like Diablo, except that it has beautiful anime-style drawings for graphics; and you don't click to attack or move; and there's no mana; plus it's completely different. It's not about getting loot (ugh, loot). Why am I comparing it to Diablo? Oh yeah; Bastion's a God's-eye-view, hack-n-slash RPG, one that features dodging. Not that passive, numbers-based dodging; actual dodging! Press that button and you'll roll (or later on, jump) to where you, "the kid," are aimed at. There's also actual blocking with your shield! And if you block just before receiving an attack, you counter that blow for that amount of damage; in a hack-n-slash RPG! Brilliant!

My only almost-issue with Bastion is that there are too many throw-away weapons. When I got to the last battles of the game, I went with the three weapons I thought would give me the most killing power (and I set the difficulty hard enough so there would be some tension). So why design in all those other weapons? .... I guess some people like different play styles. A spear and a flame thrower provide a very different experience. OH! This is a good time to note that the smooth narrator will comment even on your weapon selection when you leave the armory; and it feels goooood. His is a voice so suave that that he narrates almost everything only works. Works.Works. Works. And the music! Oh how soothing and beautiful and adrenaline-pumping it is.

Welp, this is turning into an ad. And it is! Get BASTION! (You'll probably need an XBOX 360 controller or some gamepad, but investigate this 'cause I'm not sure) And get Bastion not merely 'cause it's an indy game; you'll probably find it to be one of your top three games of 2011.

No comments: