Thursday, January 26, 2012

Limbo (AKA Fun isn't Interesting)

Well, after thinking over my options for three milliseconds, I've decided not to review Limbo. And not simply because I don't want to review it.

Oh wait. That is the reason.

And now that I've gotten the "this is not a review" bit out of the way, I want to say that I do though have something to say about Limbo, and here is what it is: Limbo isn't fun; but it is interesting.

That it is interesting is why we play it.

Limbo is this word "interesting" because of its artwork and its puzzles. It is its artwork that makes you ponder the unhappiness that is your life until you get sex, and the puzzles that make you think the same. (For the record, I don't agree with what I've construed to be Limbo's message. Mainly because said message is a cliche! And all cliches are wrong! WRONG!! ALL CLICHES AND THEIR FAMILIES SHOULD BE RAPED TO PIECES BY MONKEYS!!) Some of you may argue that puzzles, as well, are not interesting to a lot of people. Okay. I agree with all of you; I myself actually think puzzles, in themselves, are boring, which probably discredits everything I have ever said about gaming.

But read the following before you close this page and never visit Stage Zero again!

In my very humble opinion: puzzles aren't anti-interesting. It's not like: "Oh, a puzzle...How boring. I'm going to go do something more interesting, like poison dart frog." Nope. It's more like a developer saying: "Oh, our gameplay or gimmick or whatever has suddenly reached the point of "too much." Let's throw in a puzzle!"

Yes. Puzzles, I am saying, are often just used as a pacing tool. But that's fine, right? Pacing is important. Without pacing, we have nothing....

No comments: