Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Challenging Achievements in The Binding of Isaac and Super Meat Boy that I Don't Want

After studying a lot of game design, I've concluded that the hardest achievements in The Binding of Isaac and especially Super Meat Boy are not worth pursuing because of the pain (the work) they inflict on their players. I imagine getting said achievements must feel great, but at the same time I imagine that going through pain to get something that doesn't make me a more effective person, or doesn't produce anything that contributes to the lives of those I care about, isn't worth it.

Let's analyze, starting with Super Meat Boy.

In Super Meat Boy we have the "Do the Whole Hell Dark World Without Dying" achievement (plus the later dark worlds' do-not-die achievements). The precision and patience needed to beat some of the stages in Hell Dark World are so....needful of precision and patience, that the idea of spending hours memorizing where and when and how I should move, practicing each level over and over again, just so I can get the perfect button pressings in muscle memory, combined with the acceptance of my dying near the end of a dark world a few (dozen?) times during the actual achievement runs, making it so I'd have to start all over from the beginning of the world again and again and again, feels....like it'd be an infuriating experience.

Meanwhile...

The Binding of Isaac has its own challenging achievements, and two seem terrible. They're the "Beat the hardest and 2nd to hardest levels without taking a single hit" achievements. These sound incredibly frustrating for two reasons:

1) Unlike Super Meat Boy, you cannot practice the boss battles (which are really good for scoring hits on you) without playing the entire game before them. There's no practice mode that let's you JUST PRACTICE a level or a boss.

2) If you DO take a hit while playing the latter levels, after playing through the mandatory entire game before, you'll need to restart from the very beginning. (There goes another twenty-five minutes)

However, The Binding of Isaac's hardest achievements are what you'd do after you've played the game so many times that you're a pro at it, so if I had to pick between the two games' hardest achievements, I'd go for The Binding of Isaac's.

No comments: