Saturday, March 17, 2012

Why I Stopped Playing Portal 2's Co-op Mode

You probably know how I feel about pure puzzle games: they're boring 'cause they're basically a bunch of puzzles. But I loved Portal 2's singleplayer. So why not its co-op, which gives me the ability to play Portal 2 with my friends?

There are two reasons.

One is that, as far as I could tell, there was no story. Or if there was one it wasn't gripping. After playing through nine puzzles it felt like the only thing coming up was more puzzles. And more of the watered down Portal humor, which leads to the other reason.

The wit in the co-op isn't anywhere as witty as the singleplayer's. And the game's wit and characters were the prize for doing the puzzles, no? It's like, you'd do a not-fun puzzle, and then, for your intelligence, you'd be rewarded with funny.

But in the co-op, GLaDOS isn't saying anything amazing, and there are no other interesting characters who speak, so it's just not that rewarding of an experience.

No comments: