Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day Z Diary, Part 1/1, Take 2

I lied. I had one, just one thrilling Day Z experience when I played it solo.

STORY!

After a playthrough that had until then lasted one and a half hours, I was running through a barn, in the middle of nowhere, while being chased by zombies. On the other side of the barn was a fence and a dirt road, and across that road was a small, unlocked house. And there were a dozen zombies staggering around.

I ran across the street and into the house, hoping the new zed didn't notice me. The zombies pursuing me got lost in the barn (their AI is thankfully dumb). I gave a sigh of sighing; then I searched the house for loot.

The sound of a jeep's engine. I stopped breathing (in real life). I went prone on the wooden floor.

I heard the jeep drive past the buildings, down the dirt road. And as the sound of its engine began to disappear, I got up.

"I am in the middle of nowhere. Was that guy tracking me? No...." The jeep sound returned. I returned to the floor.

There in front of my face was ammo for my automatic pistol.

Forgetting that grabbing loot means going into crouch, I grabbed the loot and crouched. While crouched I saw, through the window, a ghillie suit firing a silenced pistol at zombies.

I went prone again, hoping he didn't see me.

After a minute, the sounds of zombies and shots went away.

I crawled to the room where the front door was. I closed the front door and the other door separating the first room from the kitchen/dining room. It took me thirty seconds to close both doors, as Arma II's wonky object-interaction system made me open and close and open and close the front door over and over, ensuring that the ghillie suit man was going to investigate the house.

I got into a corner I didn't think he'd expect a player to hide in. I figured that he'd figure that I would be in the larger room. The corner I was actually in was right next to the front door.

Footsteps. My heart raced.

He entered. He had a scoped AK-74. He was looking at the closed door! I had fooled him!

I shot at him and missed too many times. He turned around, looking confused in the way a ghillie suit looks confused. He unloaded his automatic weapon in my direction.

1 comment:

Paul F. said...

This story sucks dick lol!