Friday, February 3, 2012

Blackjack (in Red Dead Redemption)

I had fun twice while playing Red Dead Redemption. Unless you count all the fun movies. But you can't. You don't know how many of Red Dead's movies I watched!!!

Anyways, the two times I had fun in the video "game" were:

1) During the horse race -- During the horse race I rode what animal experts would call a "slow-moving" horse. I could translate that, but let's keep the writing concise; my having a "slow-moving" horse led to a very close race. And I mean VEEERY EPICALLY CLOSE! (If you thought D-Day was very epic, or close, you should have seen my Red Dead Redemption horse race!) The 2nd place guy and I were neck and neck for the last third of the race; I nearly lost control of myself and shot him; but then! right before the finish line, I exciting-writingly pulled ahead and won with my amazing skills. Then my horse was killed by wolves.

2) The first time I played blackjack was the other time in Red Dead that I had fun. When I started my first blackjack session, I didn't actually know how to play it (yep), and when it started I played it for three hours straight. I was fascinated, figuring out how to win as much money as possible without killing the dealer; and after three hours I figured out how to do it (without counting cards). I won all the dealer's virtual money and was happy about it.

(Of course eventually I learned that money was pretty useless in the game)

So near the end of Red Dead's plot, gambling felt utterly pointless, "utterly" pointless, I say, as I had already learned what I thought was the best strategy for winning blackjack, and because Texas Hold 'em in Red Dead Redemption was broken (for example, when I held up two kings, the game said I won by two fives and two twos...). I knew there was nothing to get, and learn, from playing more blackjack. Knowing this I ended up playing it again for fun (?). And it was boring.

No comments: