Sunday, February 5, 2012

Deep Thoughts

Rayman Origins has jiggling fairy boobs in it.

The faires are called "Betilla and the Bodacious Nymphs of the Glade." Rayman Origins is available on Amazon for $29.99.

In other news, I was talking to a psychology minor today about MMORPGs and Diablo and World of Warcraft (i.e. MMORPGs). He told me that the "random" chance-based item-getting in those games is comparable to playing the slots. I wasn't sure if he considered my detailing of how bosses in those games drop, on average, the good loot, but it doesn't matter. The point is you play the slots because, given enough time, there's a chance that you'll win something cool, like a $1,000; meanwhile you continue to play WoW or Diablo because there's a chance that, with enough time invested playing, you will win epic loot. See the analogy? Study it for your SATs kids! Do they still do analogies on the SAT? You bet they do!

In other other news, I'm reading Rules of Play, a 600-page book on theories behind game design. The first hundred pages are a little dense and boring, as it spends most of them defining terms to be used in the following 500 pages. But after that it's really interesting. I feel like my ability to judge a game's worth has increased a lot! (Although, it hasn't.) I am a little better at picking at games now. I am on page 300. After this book I will read The Game Design Reader, which is 869 pages of essays. And after that I'll read The Art of Game Design (by Jesse Schell), which is supposed to be the best book on game design.

No comments: