Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Replay Value and I

Sometimes while I play games I am reminded that there exist things outside of games, and that these things are admittedly mildly interesting. Like books. Books are interesting sometimes. Reading them, that is. I am reading one right now during my unemployment time, actually; and it is called Rules of Play; and it is not very well-written. But I'm getting sidetracked. Other things. Yes. There exist other arts in other art forms that remind me that we should act like replay value is hard to come by.

Or in other words:

THE VAST MAJORITY OF TODAY'S NEW GAMES HAVE ALMOST NO REPLAY VALUE!

This is less because they are all bad (sort of), and more because there are just too many high-quality, original experiences that are not games. Yes, I'm not kidding. For example, there are many books I myself haven't read and want to read....and...and that's pretty much it. I'm not really into non-computer games.

Why am I saying this? It's because I need to write something everyday to improve my writing. But also it's because of the grand "high replay value" title that exists out there. We should award this title only to the awesomest non-puzzle games (sorry Portal). Because we have to stop pretending that there aren't other arts to do, although in a sense, since the only way to do the other arts is to make them, there aren't really other arts to do unless you're going to make'm, in which case there aren't any other arts to do. But you know what I mean. I know I do?

No comments: