Thursday, May 31, 2012

Act I (Normal Difficulty) Diablo III Hardcore Mode is Boring

Rarely does the health go low, so rarely is it exciting. But this isn't quite why it's boring. Or at least, I'm pretending it isn't; knowing you can perma-die from any lack of attention should make it all fun, right?

WRONG!!!! You and the enemy have so few abilities in Act I Normal, Boring Difficulty that thinking up the best strategy takes maybe up to a minute of the four-hour experience. I say four-hour assuming that you're running through it fast, 'cause you wanted that well-paced experience, changing the scenes quickly, not seeing the same things too often.' And I'm saying that not even in Hardcore mode, with the prospect of being under-leveled for a boss fight in perma-death land, does the faster pace make it fun; it just makes the pain go by faster, which is not fast enough.

Seriously, Blizzard. Normal Difficulty in Act I is one of the most boring things ever. Please fix.

(Well, to be fair, it's not bad playing it in coop. The monsters are stronger, and you can chat with your friends. And yes, I just now lied about it not being bad; the un-pausable random death lag makes any Hardcore Mode multiplayer stupid.

Or maybe it doesn't, for I have this new idea, which I'll explore and then detail right under this paragraph; it's called "Exiting to the desktop when the lag gets atrocious." If there is no 'you-cannot-do-anything-for-the-next-ten-seconds-so-hope-the-monsters-play-nice countdown, while you try to quit amidst a multiplayer battle, then it's not so bad.)

(Update: Yes, you can immediately exit the game)

No comments: