Saturday, May 26, 2012

Don't Read This

Reviews! How review-focused they are! With their obsession with discussing the good and bad and features of games, instead of effective writing. Why can't I seem to write reviews I want to read?

This is a problem because I've found that I have not liked doing a third of game journalism (the writing reviews part). Everything else is wonderful. I like writing funny advertorial. I like going places, meeting people, writing about those meetings, and playing novel, good games. But reviews? Sure I enjoy discussing games' pros and cons, but the writing....I dunno. I have yet to write a review I've liked.

There is good news about this; my ability to analyze a game, to understand what makes it work and not, that is finally as good as it should be. But at the same time, why should I care? Why should you care? So my analysis is good. If that's the only good in my reviews, then I should just make videos. Attract watchers with the shiny game visuals and speak game analysis in the background. Although they won't remember any of my words (as the words would be too dry to compete with the flashy imagery), at least I would be reviewing, and they'd get the review score -- SEE?! That's terrible! I want my work to be great! All of it!

I'm going to slow down a bit. Review a little less. I'm going to ask myself, every time I review over the next couple months, how to make this review worth reading. The goal won't be comprehensive analysis. Effective writing'll be the goal.

No comments: